Saturday, April 14, 2007

Our Book Club

We are starting a book club here at DVD. Our first selection is "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It's also Oprah's Pick of the Month, but I chose it because of McCarthy's El Paso history. He used to live in the area. I would think that our landscape was inspiration to his writings, especially his "Border Triology".

Not to mention, he is considered to be one of the greatest living American novelists.

I was also intrigued by the story. To oversimplify the plot, it's a story about a man and his son after a nuclear attack.

I like stories where life as we know it permanently changes.

How does anyone deal with the end of the world or the end of their world? It could be a divorce, death, or other great loss. Our lives can change so drastically in the matter of minutes and change who we are profoundly.

Our book club will meet April 25th at 7:00.

I'm sure it will be a thought provoking read.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That will definitely be placed on my ever growing “books to read” list. I was unsure if he was from here or not. Thanks for clearing that up. I think it’s really important to support local writers, whether they are natives or not, and even those not currently residing here as well!

If anyone can’t get enough of McCarthy, check out some other titles that we have here at DVD. We have about seven titles including No Country for Old Men and All the Pretty Horses. If you can’t find the one you’re looking for, you can always request it!