Friday, January 24, 2014

Friday Finds for January 24, 2014

This is a weekly blog post featuring what the Dorris Van Doren staff members are reading, watching, playing, making, or listening to. Share your finds with us here in the comments or on twitter (@elpasolibrary) and we'll retweet you!



R E A D I N G

Life in England's Dark Ages and Camelot are the backdrop of the story. The main character's humorous exploits while introducing modern ideas make it a fun read.

Also currently reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki and Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool.

Aracelli: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck by Jeff Kinney
Gregg Heffley is growing up, but his misadventures make for a very funny book. I was laughing out loud reading the latest book in the Wimpy Kid series.

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch
Carey and her younger sister have been abandoned in the woods by their drug-addicted mother. They have had no contact with the real world in six years. When they are “discovered” and forced to live with their father, Carey finds it difficult to adjust. This YA book reads like an adult book; it is heartbreaking, yet uplifting.

Lisa: The Surprise Attack of Jabba the Puppet by Tom Angleberger 
I'm in the middle of this fourth book, and still loving the Origami Yoda series. 

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
I'm still in the first pages of Artemis Fowl, and I'm having a hard time getting into it. I really hope it gets better, because I've been blindly recommending this series for years based on rave reviews from both teens' and adults' that come into the library.   

W A T C H I N G

Andrea: Dracula (NBC television series)
Tonight is the season finale of NBC’s latest show “Dracula”. So far the show has taken a different approach to Bram Stoker’s classic novel. While it is still set in Victorian London, the revamped series has breathed new life into Dracula (also known as Alexander Grayson in this series). I have really enjoyed this show and hope others have as well. If you have not seen this show, the past episodes are available online and can be found at www.nbc.com/dracula/. The finale tonight looks to be very explosive; I look forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Lisa: The Hangover Part III
It of course wasn't as funny and creative as the first one, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either. I felt like they tried really hard to break the Hangover formula and use offensive humor that just fell flat. They also focused more on side characters Alan and Chow. When the movie ends, don't hit stop right away; stick around a bit for another scene.

L I S T E N I N G

Leslie: Gods of Guilt (Playaway) by Michael Connelly

M A K I N G

Don't forget, we have several books on knitting and also subscribe to Creative Knitting magazine, which can be checked out!
Leslie: Knitting a scarf for her husband

No comments: